Young Manufacturers Academy
CTDIDI’s nationally-recognized Young Manufacturers Academy (YMA) fosters a positive image of manufacturing through experiential learning, promotes achievement in STEM, and develops an awareness of future career possibilities among youth in grades 5-9. YMA includes hands-on activities, simulation-based learning, virtual machining environments, travel to industry locations for on-site interaction with manufacturers and a mock career fair, where students share what they have learned with their families and our industry and education partners.
YMA is a partnership with the Connecticut Technical High School System and is funded through the Connecticut Department of Economic & Community Development’s Manufacturing Innovation Fund.
Who is eligible?
Students entering grades 7 – 9 in the fall.
What does it cost?
There is no charge for the program.
What does it offer?
- Experiential opportunities.
- Real-world applications of science and math concepts.
- Use of industry tools and CAD software.
- Career awareness/readiness activities.
- 21st century skills development.
- Industry-based field trips.
- Family capstone event.
When & how do I apply?
2019 Program Offerings
Technical High School Academy Sessions
Programs held at Technical High School locations are 8 days long and introduce students to manufacturing through experiences in the machine shop, workshops, industry site visits, and a capstone event.
Information for Session location and dates coming soon.
Please read the following information before continuing to the application.
- Applications must be filled out by a parent/guardian.
- Please submit one application per student. Duplicate applications will not be considered. You will be given the opportunity to select a first and second choice.
- Student enrollment is on a first come, first served basis.
- Students who have not previously attended an Academy will be given priority consideration.
When your application is submitted you will receive confirmation – this DOES NOT mean your student has been accepted to the program. You will receive notice of acceptance once registration has closed. If accepted, students are required to commit to attending the full duration of the program.
Applications for 2019 Young Manufacturers Summer Academy program coming soon!
For more information about the program or applying, please contact Kristi Oki at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-282-4907.
Is there anything else I should know?
Bus transportation will be available from central locations only in the surrounding towns of the program location. Available transportation and lunch are provided at no cost.